Support Habitat India's effort to provide emergency shelter to victims of the Assam floods
in Assam during the last week of June resulted in heavy flooding in
Brahmaputra and its tributaries. 77 people have lost their life and
more than 10,00,000 people from 27 districts have been affected,
several thousands of people rendered homeless and several thousands
of hectares of agricultural lands inundated by flood waters causing
soil erosion, failure in communication networks, electricity,
severing of road networks etc.
The immediate response is to help the flood affected to repair their houses through provision of Emergency Shelter and Hygiene Kits.
Project DescriptionProject Goal: 500 families from the flood affected areas in Cachar district of Assam will live in safe environment and regain confidence to work for their developmentProject
- 500 needy families will be assisted with Emergency Shelter Kits (Shelter Materials & Hygiene Kit).
- Families will be given orientation on how to use the ESK materials.
- The assisted families will be linked to IAG and Government organisations to work for their betterment.
2,500 people from
500 flood affected families assisted through Habitat Shelter
intervention program to improve their living conditions
immediately after disaster.
- Family members regain confidence and restore their dignity to face the future with confidence.
- Family members oriented /trained on how to use the Emergency Shelter Materials to carry out repairs and maintenance of their houses.
- Family members trained in health & hygiene aspects – improved health of the family members.
- Children continue their education – better learning /studying atmosphere.
- Women & Children enjoy privacy, sense of security and hope.
EMERGENCY SHELTER KITS
Emergency Shelter Kits contain tarpaulin sheets, Bamboo poles, and rope and hand tools. These tools will help the families to repair or convert distributed materials into physical structures to save their lives or to have privacy till durable housing solutions are derived. The provision of Emergency Shelter Kits will help the flood affected families to gain confidence to reconstruct their life.
This will benefit the families whose houses are partially damaged due to flood water, sludge and wastes. With the help of the Hygiene kits they can remove the sludge and disinfect using the chlorine powder and other disinfectants. The Hygiene kits consists of hand tools, bucket, chlorine powder and Chlorine tablets. The families will be given orientation and IEC materials will be distributed which will show them how to use the Hygiene Kits.
Basic Hand Tools for immediate use of putting up transit shelters/repair of houses on their own will be distributed to the communities (one kit for 10 families)